Resultaten 1 tot 7 van de 7
    Prepper goeroe
    Ingeschreven
    Jul 2012

Lightbulb Prepper related Materials & Methods

This thread is meant for postings involving prepper-related materials and methods/tools associated with these materials.

Prepper goeroe
    Ingeschreven
    Jul 2012

Post Drying food using a Desiccator

Dryness of dried products (i.e. vegetables, herbs, fruits, spices, nuts) is usually taken for granted when we buy them from stores. This holds especially true when we dry these products ourselves in the sun or even in a drying oven. Residual water in these so-called dry products will always be in equilibrium with water in the atmosphere at the present Relative Humidity (RH). It is not uncommon that these "dried" products deteriorate in the course of months or even weeks. Theoretically, a truly dry product of plant origin will not deteriorate in a strictly dry (and oxygen-free) atmosphere. This is where the "desiccator" kicks in. Desiccators are sealable enclosures containing desiccants used for preserving moisture-sensitive items. Anhydrous calcium chloride (CaCl2), a well known desiccant, finds extensive use as a drying agent in chemical practice and also in households. It is a readily available, very cheap and non-toxic material. Folded fluted paper filters, tea- and coffeefilters can be used to make drying bags containing 2 to 3 spoons of this drying agent. When inserted together with a predried product into a sturdy ZIP-lock bag it will virtually desiccate your product in the course of one to two weeks. The product obtained can now be stored in an air-tight container or in a sealed Mylar bag together with an oxygen absorber and (optionally) a drying agent.

Naam:     EXSICATOR 002.jpg
Bekeken:  2251
Groote:   38,5 KB

Picture above: Jute fibers together with a filterpaper bag containing calciumchloride in a closed ZIP-lock bag.

I was startled to discover that the jute fibers did contain considerable amounts of water to such an extend that the calcium chloride was converted into a deliquescent lump. It was interesting to note that the extensivily dried fibers did catch a spark from a ferrocerium rod much more easily than 'undried' material or even cotton.
    @vheeswijk (Ph.D Chemistry)
    Laatst gewijzigd door vheeswijk; 09-07-13 om 01:31.

Adventurer
    Ingeschreven
    Apr 2014
    A field expedient solar still will extract moisture from the ground or vegetation.

Naam:     jungle-survival-4.jpg
Bekeken:  271
Groote:   55,1 KB

A field expedient way to attach a tarp to a line.
    Bijgevoegde Afbeeldingen Bijgevoegde Afbeeldingen  

SHTF Expert
    Ingeschreven
    Sep 2012
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Adventurer
    Ingeschreven
    Apr 2014
    Another use for crayons.

Naam:     969432_510350909045447_83418011_n.jpg
Bekeken:  259
Groote:   32,9 KB

Ingeschreven
    Dec 2012
    Citaat Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door SoCal92057 Bekijk Berichten
    A field expedient solar still will extract moisture from the ground or vegetation.

Naam:     jungle-survival-4.jpg
Bekeken:  271
Groote:   55,1 KB

A field expedient way to attach a tarp to a line.
    Did you ever build one?

I did long ago and the effort probably took more water than the still did deliver.
    In my opinion it's something you'll only undertake out of desperation.

Here in the Netherlands we've got the luxury that water is never far away.

Love the simple solution for the tarp.
    Laatst gewijzigd door Raycoupe; 29-04-14 om 14:02. Reden: in the Netherlands
    Nieuw forum: preppers-shelter.nl (Bij aanmelden kijk voor de activatie mail in je spamfolder)

Adventurer
    Ingeschreven
    Apr 2014
    Citaat Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Raycoupe Bekijk Berichten
    Did you ever build one?

I did long ago and the effort probably took more water than the still did deliver.
    In my opinion it's something you'll only undertake out of desperation.

Here in the Netherlands we've got the luxury that water is never far away.

Love the simple solution for the tarp.
    The one that I used was less than 2 feet across. It was constructed in the American desert. It will condense the water in the soil onto the plastic sheeting and also draw moisture from the vegetation. I agree, it is likely to only be built in desperation.

Vergelijkbare onderwerpen

1. Eens een prepper, altijd een prepper?
    Door Cyberbeer in forum Survival Algemeen
    Reacties: 11
    Laatste Bericht: 01-07-12, 13:02
  2. Wie is gekker: de prepper of de niet-prepper?
    Door Dr.Prepper in forum Perspectieven algemeen
    Reacties: 7
    Laatste Bericht: 25-02-12, 17:13

Labels voor dit Bericht

Forum Rechten